7 Best Ways to Cook Zucchini

Facebook
GOOGLE
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
RSS

I love zucchini season.  We grow them in our garden and always end up zucchini coming out our ears.  But what do you do with them all??? Since I don’t want them to go to waste, I have to get creative in how to use them.  Too much of any good thing can become boring and tasteless.  So I try to change it up to make us all happy.  And even if you don’t have a garden overflowing with zucchini, this is the time of year they tend to be the freshest and cheapest at the store or farmer’s market. Here are the 7 Best Ways to Cook Zucchini.

#1 Zucchini Muffins/Bread

*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.

I am a baked goods lover.  If you left me to my own devices I would probably eat muffins all day, every day.  Good thing my kids and husband are around to keep me in check. (ha ha!)  This Healthy Zucchini Muffin recipe always gets rave reviews.

#2 Zucchini Mini Pizzas

Who doesn’t love pizza???  I made these as a great appetizer for my Book Club and everyone raved about them. They are a great way to add more veggies to your meal and get that great pizza flavor without all the carbs!  Get the recipe here.

#3 Zoodles

You can use zucchini instead of spaghetti noodles for your favorite noodle dish by using a spiralizer. This is the spiralizer that I use.  Eat them raw, cook in the microwave (maybe around1-2 minutes so they don’t get soggy), or lightly sauté them.  Yum!  Then just add your favorite sauce, pesto, meatballs, etc. for a tasty, grain-free “noodle” experience!

#4 Zucchini Lasagna

This is so yummy, I can’t even stand it.  I made this for a treasured friend’s going away party and it was eaten up before any of the other food.  Simply slice the zucchini lengthwise, lightly salt and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Press with paper towels to remove moisture.  Then grill (or use grill pan) for 2-3 minutes per side, cool a bit and then again press with paper towels to remove more moisture.  Then just use them in your favorite lasagna recipe instead of noodles!  (This Zucchini Lasagna recipe from Skinny Taste looks pretty amazing!)

#5 Veggie Frittata with Zucchini

I modified a recipe my daughter found in a cookbook she checked out from the library.  It turned out better than I had expected! I love how inexpensive and easy it is to pull off this “fancy” dish.  And, let me tell you, the left overs taste great!  You could add zucchini to any frittata, but I obviously think my recipe is pretty tasty.  I’ll be sharing it soon! (Please forgive the extra doneness of the frittata in the pic. It is an older picture and I was distracted by my kids when I was making this for my friend’s birthday celebration and left it in the oven too long! I promise to swap it out with something much prettier the next time I make it. Lol!)

#6 Grilled Zucchini

Fresh veggies on the grill are always great and zucchini definitely doesn’t disappoint!   Just brush lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill (or use a grill pan) to desired tenderness.   Or you can get a little fancier, like this Pioneer Woman recipe.

#7 “Fried” Zucchini

Who needs these to actually be fried when they taste so good baked! I made some a few years ago and lost my recipe, so I’m trying this recipe from Real Healthy Recipes!  It looks amazing, does it not?!

The 7 Best Ways to Cook Zucchini won’t steer you wrong! Such tasty ways to eat healthy! What is your favorite way to cook zucchini?  Let me know in the Comments section below!  (Now I’m off to make some more zucchini muffins!  Yum!)

Facebook
GOOGLE
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
RSS

27 Comments

1. Melissa

August 31, 2017 at 7:00 pm

So I have hesitated at wanting to make the pizzas because I think it will just be too soggy. So do they stay a decent texture?

August 31, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Melissa – Yes, they actually do! If you want to make sure they don’t get soggy, you can always slice them on the thicker side and bake them initially for a little less time and test. I definitely prefer them fresh out of the oven though because I don’t like soggy zucchini either!

2. Evangeline

August 31, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Do any of these make it not taste like zuchini?

August 31, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Evangeline – Lol! I think that the best bet for something that doesn’t taste like zucchini would be the zucchini muffins. 🙂 My son and husband aren’t huge zucchini fans and they love the muffins. And, of course, if you add chocolate chips they are even less vegetable-y. I also really like my frittata with zucchini. It definitely does not have a strong zucchini flavor. I’m working on getting that recipe up soon.

3. Christina

August 31, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Definitely got to try the muffins that way my hubby won’t know what it is haha!

September 1, 2017 at 3:21 am

Christina – Lol! It is so true! And if you grate the zucchini really fine (or peel before grating so that the green doesn’t show), they really won’t be able to tell!

4. Stacey

August 31, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I love zucchini bread! I also enjoy fried (baked) zucchini. You have some great ideas I haven’t tried yet, like the pizzas and frittata. And I keep thinking I’ll try Zoodles, but I haven’t made the time yet. Now I’m hungry!

5. Carmen

September 1, 2017 at 1:38 am

When you grow zucchini–or have a neighbor who does (HA!)–you need a lot of ways to eat it! Great ideas!

September 1, 2017 at 3:15 am

Carmen – So true! My fridge is overflowing with zucchini right now, so my neighbors are getting the surplus!

6. Shelanda

September 1, 2017 at 1:52 am

I have a wonderful recipe for zucchini bread. It was actually how I started eating zucchini. I need to try the zoodles for sure.

September 1, 2017 at 3:16 am

Shelanda – Zucchini bread or muffins are such a great way to get started eating zucchini! It doesn’t taste like a veggie and I think it makes us more open to trying new things! I know that is how I got started eating zucchini too!

7. Monica at Lucky Mojito

September 1, 2017 at 2:00 am

We have so much zucchini right now. I think i’ll make the zucchini frittata next. I’ve already done the bread and zoodles.

September 1, 2017 at 3:17 am

Monica – I’ll have to get the frittata recipe up soon. It gets rave reviews. I’m sure you’d enjoy it!

8. Cerin

September 1, 2017 at 4:15 am

I LOVE zucchini! Can’t wait to try some of these! 🙂

September 1, 2017 at 5:52 am

Cerin – Yay! Can’t wait to hear your favorites!

9. Melissa

September 1, 2017 at 9:43 am

I love, love, love Zucchini!! I have tried a few of the ways you posted, but not all! Saving this to try a few of the ones that I’ve never heard of before!

September 4, 2017 at 3:41 am

Melissa – Thanks for saving! I hope you enjoy the new recipes!

10. Jacqueline Marie

September 1, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for all the recipe ideas! My oldest has some strict dietary restrictions and zucchini is one thing he can have and he likes! The pics of your recipes look great!

September 4, 2017 at 3:41 am

Jacqueline – I know all about dietary restrictions and zucchini being safe! It is always fun to have different ways to eat it. Too much of any one way and you get bored really fast, especially with a restricted diet.

11. Christy

September 1, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I’ll admit that the bread or muffins are the only way I’ve cooked zucchini, but now that we have a new grill I’ll be trying the other recipes as well. Thanks for the tips!

September 4, 2017 at 3:40 am

Christy – Grilled zucchini is amazing! You should definitely try it.

12. Christine

September 1, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I’m trying to eat more veggies so these ideas are very helpful. I’ll have to try the noodles soon.

September 4, 2017 at 3:38 am

Christine – More veggies is always good! Hope you like the zoodles!

13. Kourtney

September 1, 2017 at 9:09 pm

These recipes all look SO amazing! I’m definitely going to start by trying that mini pizza one tonight… I was struggling to figure out a simple healthy dinner, so that will be perfect! Thanks for sharing!

September 4, 2017 at 3:38 am

Kourtney – Yay! I hope you liked the pizzas!

14. bola

September 3, 2017 at 10:20 pm

hmmmm……. this looks so yummy.